METLIFE AND NORGES BANK INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT BUY ONE BEACON STREET TOWER IN BOSTON
Joint Venture Adds Fourth Property to its Growing Portfolio
New York, July 28, 2014
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) and Norges Bank Investment Management today announced that they have bought the One Beacon Street office building in Boston for approximately $561 million. This is the second property investment in Boston and the fourth overall for the joint venture, which now has a real estate portfolio with a gross value of approximately $2.4 billion.
MetLife and Norges Bank Investment Management bought the 34-story office tower from a joint venture of Beacon Capital Partners and insurer Allianz. MetLife will own 52.5 percent of One Beacon Street and be the managing member, while Norges Bank Investment Management will own the remaining 47.5 percent.
Located in Boston's financial district, One Beacon Street is LEED Platinum certified and offers more than one million square feet of office space. Built in 1973, One Beacon Street is currently about 85 percent leased, with current tenants including the Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency, the University of Massachusetts, the University of Massachusetts Building Authority, Standard Life Investments (USA) Limited and JPMorgan Chase Bank, National Association.
"One Beacon Street in Boston adds a high-quality asset in a core market to our joint portfolio with Norges Bank Investment Management," said Robert Merck, senior managing director and global head of real estate investments for MetLife. "Our partnership with the world's largest sovereign wealth fund is built on a strategy of providing first-rate asset management and of investing for the long-term to bring strong returns to our stakeholders."
The three other properties in the joint venture's portfolio are: One Financial Center in Boston; District Center (formerly the Thurman Arnold Building) at 555 12th Street, NW, in Washington, D.C.; and 425 Market Street in San Francisco.
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET), through its subsidiaries and affiliates ("MetLife"), is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, MetLife is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Serving approximately 100 million customers, MetLife has operations in nearly 50 countries and holds leading market positions in Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.
About Norges Bank Investment Management
Norges Bank Investment Management safeguards and builds financial wealth for future generations as the manager of the Norwegian Government Pension Fund Global. The Fund is invested globally in equity, fixed-income and real estate markets. The Fund managed approximately $890 billion as of the end of July 2014.