METLIFE RELEASES UPDATE ON ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL AND GOVERNANCE ISSUES
Publishes Annual Corporate Responsibility Report – Global Impact
New York, September 21, 2015
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) today announced the release of the company's latest corporate responsibility report, highlighting the positive impact it makes on society while achieving its core business goals of managing risk and meeting its long-term financial commitments.
The report, titled Global Impact, provides a progress update on last year's report and includes information on how the company performs on multiple environmental, social and governance issues, including social impact investments, customer service, product access, employee programs, workplace diversity, environmental stewardship and philanthropy.
"We are pleased to share some of the ways MetLife manages the business to create value for our customers, employees and communities around the world," said Mike Zarcone, executive vice president and head of Corporate Affairs. "MetLife has a nearly 150-year legacy of operating as a responsible corporate citizen, and this report highlights how we continue to live up to that high standard today."
Some highlights from the report include:
Protecting the Environment:
- Since 2005, MetLife has reduced energy consumption by 25 percent and indirect greenhouse gas emissions by 100 percent for its U.S. owned and managed office portfolio.
- MetLife now holds equity stakes in 46 LEED certified properties, and 100 percent of its owned and operated offices in the U.S. are ENERGY STAR certified.
- More than 5,000 MetLife employees across 25 offices participated in Earth Week 2014 activities.
- Since 2003, MetLife has invested $2.9 billion in renewable energy projects and now has ownership stakes in more than 25 wind and solar farms that produce enough clean energy to power 1 million homes.
Advancing Stability in Communities:
- MetLife has more than $1.5 billion in community and affordable housing investments (2014 fair value) and provided more than $3.5 billion in agricultural loans originated to farmers and ranchers in 2014.
- MetLife Foundation provided more than $27 million in financial inclusion grants in year two of its $200 million, five-year commitment. In addition, nearly $14 million was provided to community development, youth and education, civic and cultural engagement and other community initiatives.
- More than 7,300 MetLife employees volunteered over 62,000 hours in communities across 23 countries in 2014.
- MetLife served approximately 100 million customers from around the world in 2014 and provided financial products and services to 93 of the top 100 of Fortune 500® companies.
- MetLife improved its customer service ratings scores (Net Promoter Scores®) by 33 percent.
- The company invested $300 million in technology to improve the customer experience and business operations.
Global Impact has been prepared in accordance with the latest guidelines published by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the nonprofit organization that sets the standard for sustainability reporting. The GRI Guidelines provide a globally recognized framework for companies to measure and communicate their environmental, economic, social and governance performance. By using this framework, MetLife joins thousands of companies around the world in quantifying the benefits and impacts of its business activities.
To view Global Impact, please visit www.metlifeglobalimpact.com.
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET), through its subsidiaries and affiliates ("MetLife"), is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, MetLife is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Serving approximately 100 million customers, MetLife has operations in nearly 50 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.